Welcome to the Elwood Community High School Website
The History of Elwood Community High School
The Elwood High School was organized in 1888 by Mr. Herman F. Willkie, Superintendent of Elwood schools. At first there was only a two-year course; in 1893 the course was lengthened to three years, and in 1897 a four-year course was onlined.
In the fall of 1890, Mr. T.J. Fitzgibbon succeeded Mr. Willkie as the sole instructor for the 42 high school students. By the fall of 1891, the enrollment had increased to 55, and Mr. Charles Meeks was appointed principal to assist Superintendent Fitzgibbon. Mr. Willkie applied for a commission in the winter of 1889-90, but this was not granted until the request was made again by Mr. Fitzgibbon. The State Board of Education sent Mr. L.H. Jones, Superintendent of Indianapolis schools to inspect the Elwood High School; as a result of his recommendation, Elwood secured a commission in 1892.
In 1886 the old eight-room building was torn down and a new building started. High school classes met in the Linwood building for two years and in the Odd Fellows Hall from October 1898 to February 1899, when the Central building was completed. The Main Street high school was constructed in 1915, and a large addition was made in 1927.
The enrollment increased from 42 in 1890 to a high of 1,002 in 1976. Since then the enrollment has declined to approximately 500 students. During the years the courses offered have changed to meet the needs of the students.
In November 1944, the name of the school was changed to Wendell L. Willkie High School in honor of the boy who graduated in 1910 and became the Republican candidate for President of the United States in 1940. He was the son of the founder, Herman F. Willkie.
During the summer of 1973, the new Elwood Community High School building was completed. Classes began in the fall using the splendid new facilities. The building was designed and built by the Everett L. Brown Company of Indianapolis, Indiana.
In 1988, the middle school was completed, and the high school benefitted from two new science rooms, two new art rooms and renovation of several other areas. Shared facilities including an auditorium, natatorium, and music department have also enriched our curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities.
During the 2008-09 school year, renovation of the high school brought a new geothermal heating and cooling system. The front office area was also renovated and a new video surveillance system was installed to improve building security.
Contact Manager Announcement
ECSC announces a new method of adjusting telephone numbers or email addresses that receive alerts for school closings, delays, and other notifications.